Saturday, January 08, 2011

Choose NOW!

So on David Horowitz's great Newsreal blog, they pose the question: should gays be allowed in the conservative movement? The person who took the "no" side is a chap named Ryan.

Ryan believes that, homosexuality is a "sometime behavior," and he quotes a gay he agrees with, cut and pasting: "...human sexuality is fluid and flexible...The concept of gay and lesbian identity may be nothing but a social construct."

So I guess he believes the same: that sexuality is "flexible," and we choose our orientation.

Which makes me wonder, when did he first choose to be straight?

And did he choose to be straight, only because it's acceptable by conservatives?

I mean, it's got to be tough to think that, at any "fluid" or "flexible" moment, you can go the other way. The bad way. It must require constant vigilance to stick to ones heterosexual guns, and maintain a safe distance from hairless bodybuilders and tanning salons.

I don't know. For me, I'm certain I was born straight, so i don't know anything else. And I don't think too much about it.

So I assume it's the same for everyone.

But maybe life would be easier for millions if it was a choice. Then gays could all be straight, and wouldn't have to deal with people like Ryan.

Lastly, if you want to argue against homosexuality, you need to move it beyond religion. Fact is, if I get mugged, I can explain to the police why the mugger must be arrested - without saying "it's in the Ten Commandments."

After all, pointing to God as the basis for your distaste is what our enemies do every time they try to blow us up. We're better than that.