Saturday, June 05, 2010

Straight Talk---How refreshing

So President Bush came out of hibernation, to attend something called the Economic Club, in Grand Rapids, Michigan. There he defended his use of waterboarding, and said he'd do it again in a heartbeat.

"Yeah, we water-boarded Khalid Sheikh Mohammed," Bush said of the terrorist behind 9/11. "I'd do it again to save lives."

Now, whether you agree with him or not, and whether you hate his guts or not - you gotta like that. No heavy lifting in that vocab: simple, straightforward, and honest. I miss that.

I mean, would you ever hear Obama say, "Yeah, we lied about the cost of health care, but I'd do it again, because I think it's worth it."

Or, "Yeah, I trashed the immigration bill in Arizona without reading it, but so what - I think it sucks. You should too."

How about: "Sure, I threw Reverend Wright under the bus. Wouldn't you?"

Or, "Okay, I smoke. So what. I'm President, you're a low-level media hack with a potbelly and a wife who not-so-secretly wishes she was banging me. So there. You gotta light?"

See, I'd like to hear that. But I won't. Instead, in the White House, we get Sir Paul McCartney - the least talented member of the Monkees - cracking wise about a President who saved millions of lives in Africa.

Here's his joke:

"After the last eight years, it's great to have a President who knows what a library is."

Haha. Now if you remember, it was Sir Paul who said a fish's life is the same as a human's. Thankfully for Africa, Bush felt differently.

But Sir Paul feels Obama is doing a great job, because he's well liked. He's right: people who were scared of us once, aren't so scared of us anymore. We traded in our stick for a back scratcher.

But look: I'd rather be hated in a safer world, than loved in a dangerous one. Perhaps Obama should call Bush for some advice, before he makes Carter look like Reagan by comparison.