Monday, January 17, 2005

Wuzzadem

Judge Judy: Rather and Mapes

(Announcer as Mapes and Rather walk into courtroom)

"Ex-television producer Mary Mapes is suing her former boss, popular TV news anchor Dan Rather, for causing her to be fired from her job after she allegedly provided him with false documents that were used in a news story about President Bush. Dan says Mary knew the documents were phonies but never told him. He's counter-suing for defamation of character."

Judge Judy
Miss Mapes, until recently you worked for the defendant as a television producer for a news show. According to your complaint, you came into possession of some documents that were used as part of a news story for which the defendant was the reporter. Evidently there was some doubt as to the authenticity of these documents, and as a result you were fired from your job. You say that the defendant was every bit as responsible as you, but ultimately you were held responsible and he got off scot-free. You're suing for lost wages and infliction of emotional distress.

Mapes

Yes, your honor.

Judge Judy
The defendant says that he was simply reporting a story using documents that said were genuine, that he had no idea there were any doubts about them, and that he basically showed up and read a script that had been written for him. He says that if anyone should have been fired it was you. Is that basically correct, sir?

Rather

Your honor, in all my years as a journalist...

Judge Judy
Just answer my question sir - is that basically correct?

Rather

Yes, yes it is.

Judge Judy
Good. Now, Miss Mapes, tell me about these documents.

Mapes
Well, your honor, I had been working on this story for about five years, and I...

Judge Judy

Five years? Why in the world would it take you five years to work on a news story?

Mapes
Well, this wasn't really a news story, it was more like a piece of investigative journalism.

Judge Judy
I don't care if you were building a skyscraper, how could it take you five years?

Mapes
Well, I have to follow up on leads, develop sources...

Judge Judy
Speak English, madame! Just tell me about these documents. Where did you get them?

Mapes

Well, these were some memos that appeared to be very damaging to the President...

Judge Judy
WHERE DID YOU GET THEM?

Mapes

Oh, sorry. I received the memos from a source that...

Judge Judy
I asked you to speak English. What is a "source?"

Mapes

It's someone who provides you with information, either on the record or off...

Judge Judy

You mean it's a person.

Mapes
Yes.

Judge Judy
Then say person! Who gave them to you?

Burkett
I did, your honor.

Judge Judy

What is your name, sir?

Burkett
Bill Burkett.

Judge Judy
Step up. Now, tell me, sir, where you got these memos?

Burkett
I came into possession of these particular documents after I was contacted by a woman by the name of Lucy Ramirez.

Judge Judy
And how do you know this Lucy Ramirez?

Burkett
I don't know her, your honor.

Judge Judy

What do you mean you don't know her?

Burkett

Ms. Ramirez telephoned me one day to tell me that she had some documents about President Bush's Texas Air National Guard service that could be very damaging to him.

Judge Judy
Don't tell me what she said to you, that's hearsay. Did you make arrangements to obtain these documents?

Burkett
Yes, I arranged to meet Ms. Ramirez at a livestock show in Houston.

Judge Judy
And on what date did you meet her?

Burkett

I didn't meet her, your honor. While I was at the livestock show, I was approached by a man who asked if I was Bill Burkett. I said I was, and he handed me an envelope...

Judge Judy
Don't tell me what he said to you, that's hearsay.

Burkett
Actually, he didn't say anything to me after that, he just handed me the envelope and walked away.

Judge Judy
He just handed you an envelope and walked away without saying a word?

Burkett
Yes, he disappeared into the crowd.

Judge Judy
What are you, a secret agent? Mr. Burkett, do I look like a fool to you?

Burkett
No, your honor.

Judge Judy
Because what you've just told me has got to be one of the biggest cock-and-bull stories I've ever heard. Why would someone who you'd never met just call you out of thin air and offer to give you documents that might be damaging to the President of the United States?

Burkett
Well, I was in the Guard...

Judge Judy
OK, now we're getting somewhere! So you had first-hand knowledge of what occurred because you were in the National Guard with the President?

Burkett
No, your honor. Actually, I was in the Army National Guard, Mr. Bush was in the Air National Guard.

Judge Judy
Mr. Burkett, are you taking any medication??

Burkett

Yes, your honor, right now I'm taking an anti-convulsive, two anti-depressants, and...

Judge Judy

Sit down! Miss Mapes, are you telling me that you worked on this story for five years, and all you could come up with is some memos that some mystery man--who may or may not have been sent by this Lucy Ramirez--gave to James Bond here at a livestock show?

Mapes
Well, yes, your honor, but you should remember...

Judge Judy
And someone actually paid you to do this?

Mapes
Well, the underlying facts of the story have never...

Judge Judy
You wouldn't know a fact if it bit you in the behind! Now, Mr. Rather, I want you to tell me what you knew about these memos and when you knew it.

Rather
Well, your honor...

Judge Judy
Look at me when you're testifying, sir. Stop looking into the camera.

Rather
My apologies, force of habit. Your honor, I always say If you try to read the tea leaves before the cup is done you can get yourself burned. Now this whole dust-up has caused quite a bit of consternation for quite a few people, and I wish it had never happened, but then again, if a frog had side pockets he'd probably wear a handgun.

Judge Judy
Mr. Rather, are you taking any medication?

Rather
No, ma'am.

Judge Judy
Then get to the point! Now, please answer my question.

Rather
My pleasure, your honor. To tell you the truth, if I knew then what I know now, I would not have gone ahead with the story as aired.

Judge Judy
What do you mean "as aired?" What evidence did you have besides these memos?

Rather
None, your honor, but I have it on very good authority that the allegations set forth in the memos are true, regardless of whether or not the memos themselves are authentic.

Judge Judy

Do you know how foolish you sound, Mr. Rather? That's like me saying that I have reason to believe that I'm twenty-three, regardless of the date on my birth certificate.

Rather

Well, Judge Judy, if you'll just hear my witness, I think you'll see what I mean.

Judge Judy
All right, step up. What's your name, ma'am?

Knox

My name is Marion Knox. I was the secretary of Lieutenant Colonel Jerry Killian, who is the alleged author of the memos in question. I used to type all of his memos.

Judge Judy
So you're telling me that these memos did come from this Lieutenant Colonel Killian?

Knox

No, your honor. I didn't type them, and I don't think that they came from Colonel Killian, but I believe that the information in them is correct.

Judge Judy
So you think that someone else typed them for the Colonel?

Knox
Oh, no, your honor. In fact, those memos contains terms in there that are specific to the army, not the air force. The formatting is also all wrong, and the signatures don't look like his.

Judge Judy
This is your witness, Mr. Rather?

Rather
Yes, your honor. In fact, I interviewed Ms. Knox on national television.

Judge Judy
For what purpose?

Rather
To prove that the memos were authentic.

Judge Judy
Are you listening, sir?? She just testified under oath that they're fake!

Rather
Yes, but she also told me that she believes that these are memos that Colonel Killian might have written if he had the opportunity, because he basically agreed with the sentiment that was expressed in them. If you'll just keep asking her questions, the story starts to sound much more believable - you just have to phrase the questions correctly.

Judge Judy

Mr. Rather, you're giving me a lot of 'who-shot-John!' Did you know Ms. Mapes got these memos from Mr. Burkett, and were you aware of the rather bizarre circumstances under which he obtained them?

Rather

No, your honor. I only found out about Mr. Burkett much later, and I have never met him or spoken to him.

Mapes

He said on national television that the memos came from an unimpeachable source!

Judge Judy
Is this true? Did you say that?

Rather

I did, your honor...

Judge Judy
Why would you say that if you'd never met him?

Rather
Well, I was trying to assure our viewers that, uh, that is, uh, we were trying to get to the bottom of this whole thing...

Judge Judy
It sounds more like you were trying to cover your tracks. In my opinion, a five-year-old child would have demonstrated more common sense than the two of you did in this matter.

Ms. Mapes - I don't know how you could do such shoddy work and expect to keep your job, but I certainly would have given you your walking papers if you worked for me. Your case is dismissed.

Mr. Rather, having heard your testimony, not to mention that of your witness, I'm convinced that you not only knew that the documents in question were fishy, to say the least, but it appears that you were trying to cover up that fact. I don't know why you weren't fired, but if I were you, I'd update my resume. Your counterclaim is dismissed. Now if you'll both excuse me, I have a splitting headache - step out!